Today just didn’t feel like a food diary day to me for some reason, so I decided to take a little break. While I don’t have pictures of everything I ate today, I did try something new that I wanted to tell you about! It all started yesterday…
When I was at the grocery store the other day, I spent some time hanging out in the cereal aisle and checking out the wares. I love oat bran, and I first learned about it after seeing it on a number of different blogs. I’m sure it had been hanging around in the cereal aisle for ages, but it had always escaped my notice. Now, I’m hooked! I thought I’d see what else might be sitting on the shelf just waiting to come home with me. I saw a box of a five grain cereal made by Old Wessex, the same brand as the oat bran I love, and I decided it was worth a try.
I like the idea of increasing the variety in my morning bowl, and this certainly doesn’t disappoint! Yesterday, I had it with some brown sugar, dried cherries and chopped vanilla almonds. It was yummy! The only problem comes when I look at my morning calorie total. The oat bran I buy has 100 calories in 40 grams of dry cereal. This five grain cereal has 160. Hmm…. As much as I hate math, I did a little bit and decided that this was the answer:
This morning I made a bowl using 20 grams of oat bran and 20 grams of the five grain cereal. I still had variety in my bowl, I liked the texture better, and I saved 30 calories— about the amount of calories in the 1/2 Tbsp. of maple syrup in the bowl. I really think that making little switches like that can make a difference. Plus, as I mentioned, I liked the texture better anyway!
Today’s bowl, by the way, had a smashed up overripe banana that I cooked with the cereal and was topped with maple syrup and chopped pecans. I tossed some cinnamon and a bit of Jay Robb’s vanilla whey protein in there too. I really loved this bowl. I have so many pecans in the freezer from my parents’ pecan trees, and I need to start having them on my cereal more often!
The new cereal wasn’t the only “first” I had yesterday. I also received my first…. and second blogger awards ever!!
I received this award from both Kelly and Bella yesterday, and I feel so honored! Thanks to both of you! I love blogging, and I love being able to learn new things and share old tricks while meeting lots of amazing people.
If you haven’t checked out Kelly’s blog, Happy Texans, you should stop by and check it out! Kelly always has lots of great food ideas, recipes and fun photos and stories from her life in Texas. Kelly is awesome, and she’s really a lot of fun. I’m a big fan!! Thanks for thinking of me, Kelly!
Bella’s site, Bella on the Beach, is another favorite of mine. Bella is on an amazing weight loss journey, and we share some similar tastes in food. She’s currently participating in the Weight Watchers Walk-it challenge, and I love reading about her progress. Go, Bella, go!! If you haven’t already, check her out! Bella, thanks so much!!
Here’s what you do when you have received the “Super Blogger” award:
-Tape it up on your blog somewhere.
-Pass it along to 5 fellow super bloggers, and comment on their blog to let them know how lucky they are today!
-When you present your Super Blogger awards, link back to the super blogger who gave it to you.
I have to pick five? Really? Just five? That’s a tough one kids, but I’ve come up with a way to narrow down my choices. I think starting a blog is a bit like being the new kid at school. The five people I’ve chosen to win this award really made me feel welcome in my earliest blogging days. Bella and Kelly both belong on this list too, along with many others. Even if you aren’t on the list, please know how much I appreciate you!!
1. Heather @ Heather Eats Almond Butter, made me feel at home right from the start. I enjoy reading her blog because she always has lots of great ideas, but it is also awesome to read about someone who lost a lot of weight and kept it off. Gaining back the weight I’ve lost is one of my biggest fears, and Heather’s story reassures me that I shouldn’t be afraid. Plus, she does amazing things with nut butter. What’s not to love about that?! 🙂 Thanks, Heather!
2. Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday, invited me to host a BSI contest, not long after I started my blog, and it really helped me to meet a lot of new bloggers. I appreciated that opportunity so much! In addition to being a very welcoming person, Beadie often has incredibly thought provoking posts about food and about life in general. I always leave her site with good food for thought. Hugs and many thanks to you, Beadie!!
3. Mara @ What’s For Dinner is so much fun! She has great recipes, and a great sense of humor. I’ve especially been enjoying her “dinner guests”, and I’m a huge fan of her “Cute Food Saturday” posts. I look forward to them all week!! Thanks for being so much fun and for making me feel at home, Mara!
4. Abbie @ Foods That Fit has such an adventurous food spirit. I learn so much from seeing her food experiments and food reviews. She’s always up to something cool, and I’ve really enjoyed her exploits with her new food dehydrator. She was so friendly right from the start, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know her through her posts. Thanks for being such a Sweetie, Abbie!
5. Sarah @ Tales of Expansion keeps me very entertained with her resourcefulness and her tactics for avoiding food waste! Her posts always make me hungry, and I’m always fascinated by the combination of foods she eats in a day. She often makes me laugh while offering some very practical and useful ideas for those leftover crumbs, and I think she’s a girl I’d really enjoy hanging out with. Sarah, thanks for inspiring and entertaining me!
Whew. That was tough. I think I need some chocolate now!
I’m enjoying a much needed night off from the gym. Last night’s workout with my trainer was a doozy, and I’m one sore girl today. There is a movie just waiting to be watched and a couch in need of a lounger. Since the couch is calling, I’m going to wrap this post up earlier than usual and say “Ciao for now, lovely bloggies!” 🙂 You are all winners in my book!